Countdown to the Big Move!!!
It’s an exciting time for you and we want to make sure you are all taken care of.
Eight Weeks (or More) Before The Move
- Contact us to search for homes
- Acquire estimates from moving companies and determine out-of-pocket expenses. We have moving companies we recommend, ask us!
- Obtain children’s current school report cards, and check pre-registration dates and procedures for enrolling in a new school
- Collect copies of all medical records, birth certificates and veterinary records – keep in safe, accessible place
- Inform post office, banks credit card, and insurance companies, subscription services, friends and family of your new address
- Transfer bills, stocks, investments, and bank accounts, as needed
- Clean out cupboards, garage, attic, and any other storage place – discard unwanted item
- Pack all household items, be sure to carefully label boxes by room
- Discontinue delivery services and close out all local accounts (library cards, gym memberships, etc.)
- Clean out safety deposit box; send valuables ahead by registered mail or take them with you
- Defrost/dry refrigerators and freezers after emptying and thoroughly cleaning them out
- Arrange for final financial transactions at the bank
The Day Before
- Pack luggage to take with you, including valuables and identification cards
- Make sure pets are prepared for their journey
- Prepare for travel: if flying, print online check-in confirmation; if driving, print out directions if necessary
Loading & Moving Day
- Reconfirm delivery date with movers and provide directions to new residence
- Supervise movers to ensure belongings are handled with care
- If electricity is turned off, make sure to leave refrigerator and freezer doors open to prevent mold and mildew
- Drop keys off with the landlord and ask for a written receipt; some charge a month’s rent if keys are not returned
- Provide the landlord with your forwarding address for any forthcoming mail, refunds, etc.